seriously, I have much to tell... :)

26 September 2008

First timer - KTMB Sleeper Berth!

In a bid not to fight with thousands of people in the balik kampung spirit next week, I have decided to just spend a long weekend back home and chill in KL during Raya. So yesterday after work, I took the night train back! And I purposely chose the night train because I have always wanted to try the sleeper berths! Looks so interesting. Looks so fun. Looks like an experience.


I walked past a few coaches and saw a few people setting up their laptops and some having chats with their friends/family who have bought berths right opposite each other. This should be fun, I thought.


Anyways, first look:

My first thought was, "wow... like little cells..."

My little berth!:
Always always make sure you request for window seats (when purchasing seats) and make sure to request for lower berths(when purchasin berths) because I think it is a secret plot of the counter staff to make you suffer the aisle seat/upper berth if you don't specifically ask for otherwise.


Anyways, I brought along 2 books because I thought that it would be the best time for me to catch up on those books which I started but never finished!!

But how to read when there is not light? There is this very old, well-intentioned and well positioned reading lamp which doesn't work. It is just placed there so that people will remember that this old train once had people reading in its berths.

Look at the switch! So classic right? (with a dash of sarcasm)


See? Those with upper berths have to climb on this cold steel stairs. Very inviting.


On another matter, on my way into the train, KTMB staff gave me a Raya Goodie Bag. Whoa. Seriously. The drink and ang pow I can understand but one whole box of kuih raya?! Hmm... fishy...
Reminds me of this article in The Star which I read and HAD to laugh out loud. KTMB employees cooked porridge for passengers. I think after that Prime Minister took the KTM Commuter incident, they sort of felt the need to buck up. After, I repeat. After.

And right after I happily (free stuff, always happy) took my goodie bag, a buncha students from a local university decided to hand out survey forms to me to fill in. Some of the questions (to rate between strongly agree to strongly disagree) include:

1) KTMB staff are
a) Friendly
b) Courteous
c) Knowledgeable
d) Helpful

I mean, yesterday they were pretty much friendly, courteous etc... but please. I may not have the best memory around but kuih raya and a pack of soya bean milk will not help me to forget the times when I was not given good service!!!

And don't even get me started on the toilets! Because one of the questions asked about the cleanliness of the toilet. Very brave, no? Brownie points for confidence! :D


Anyways, let's focus on the berths,
So it was a pretty pleasant experience. The bed was not so bad. The sheets were clean. There were enough space. Though a person taller than 6 feet will want to consider the first class berths. My feet were almost touching the wall. I couldn't really kick around. Anyways, I didn't want to move too much because it was cold! They didn't include a blankey... only the extra sheet on top. So I had to pull the curtains to stop the cold air from reaching me but that would leave me in the dark so I couldn't read my books.

So I went to sleep.

The whole train was pretty silent when everyone has gone to sleep.


Don't worry. The KTM staff will go around and wake people up when they have arrived at their station. I had to resist my usual grouch and whine when woken up unexpectedly (especially by mom). At least they make sure you don't miss your stop. Good ya? OK, have to give some points here.

No comments: