seriously, I have much to tell... :)

22 June 2008

Sky High

Having stayed in KL for the past 5 years and having walked pass the Petronas Twin Towers everyday for the past one year AND not stepping foot on the Twin Towers Skybridge is unacceptable.

-Photo taken during a fire evacuation drill-

-Photo taken while going to work-


-Photo taken when having drinks at SkyBar-



Curiosity finally set in.

I was determined to wake up early and just go and experience for myself what it will be like to stand on that bridge connecting the Twin Wonders of Malaysia. I was determined. I psyched myself up by imagining the breathtaking view while taking in the architectural pride of my country.


OK. No need to be so drama. Pei Ching and I were already set to go. Many were not able to join but we were going no matter what. Any concierge in the city will advise you to start queueing for the free tickets as early as 7.30am. I went there at about 7.45am and was greeted by this:


It will be good to go with some buddies so that you can chat about your anticipation, how Malaysia has developed so far, the petrol price hike, how difficult it was to wake up so early on a Saturday, how the public transportation sucks sometimes, etc etc.


But it will be better to just go there early. Be there by 7.30am and you will cut down on the pain of waiting in line.


There is no food in sight and so it will be a good idea to ta-pao something to eat while you wait.


We missed the 9.00am tickets but yay! we got the 9.30am tickets! Some people got the afternoons ones...


We were required to sit in a mini theatre room to watch a 3D presentation on how Petronas came about and how good they are to their employees, customers and stakeholders. At least the 3D glasses were pretty entertaining:


It's pretty huge but still funny. I think maybe I wanna get a pair of sunnies this big next time.


Anyways, a word of advise : Minimize contact with the 3D glasses provided! I doubt they sterilize it but what I saw was shocking. It was a dark room but due to my paranoia on dirt and bacteria, I inspected the glasses closely. Well, yes, a little oily from being in contact with so many faces everyday but if you look closely, you will soon realise that some people actually bite the ends of the holder (I don't know what you call it but it is the part where it sits on your ear).

omg.


OK. Back to the bridge. We took a ride in this highspeed elevator. And when they say highspeed, it was really, really highspeed! The lenght of the ride felt like I have just reached a tenth floor of my apartment but in actual fact, we were already on the 41st floor! whoa... whoaaa...

-The Bridge-

When we first arrived, the guide/usher decided to explain a little more about the bridge and in a way blocking us anxious people from stepping on the bridge. We were this close!!

OK, yada yada, the bridge consist of 2 storeys, one for the employees, one for mere visitors like us, weights 300 plus tonnes, yada yada. We were like children looking at a whole bunch of lollipops but were not allowed to touch.


Finally, we were set free!


At first I could hear some of the ang-moh visitors gasping in awe at the view. That was before they realize that the view was not so gasp-worthy because it was a misty morning. I think we could only see buildings around 300 metres away. Aiya....


And there were no public/tourist-friendly binoculars on the whole bridge. So what else can one do?

Take photos!

KL Convention Centre, Traders Hotel, ExxonMobil & Water Park


Menara Public Bank

The water fountains and some cool designs on top of Suria KLCC

Some office folks having tea break (typically). I think this should be on the 37th floor.


Me!


After about 10minutes, we were ushered off... not before we took some last minute photos!

Peiching

Esmee and me

Me going "Last one!!"

The incredible high-speed elevator control panel. whoa.

3 comments:

Philip said...

hey i never been there, not even once. I miss the fire drill day, and I love your hair too~~~~~

Shawn said...

i went there once!

was grabbing the railing for my life!
and only peeped down a lil. lol

and yes, i am afraid of height.

yvonne lee said...

philip: Must go! Even though it is for 5 minutes of "ooh!". We just had another fire drill and I was fire marshal! omg. my hair? Thanks! but I feel it actually doesn't suit me..... :(

shawn: lol! all that waiting and just a peep... how can!!