seriously, I have much to tell... :)

05 April 2009

i-scream!

Random pic of my Very Very Strawberry


Yesterday, after a super heavy lunch at Ichiban Boshi I decided to convince my friends to go have ice cream at the Baskin Robbins Cafe. I was craving for sugar ok. It was then that I started to wish I have worked part-time in an ice cream parlour last time. I should have been more adventurous and independent! The only part-time I have done is giving tuition for my juniors and part-time sales assistant in Topshop and that was a really good experience.


The thing is, you will feel like the most powerful person at that moment when the customer orders an ice cream from you. You sort of get to silently decide how big a scoop the customer gets and you sort of get to silently decide how much toppings they get to enjoy too!

Now, I'm very sure they have a standard operating procedure in place and a standardized scoop size and toppings count.

But it seems the sizes have been varying in this past month when I go to all the different brands. Sometimes I get a very very standard scoop (like, so small you almost felt disappointed) and sometimes I get a very full scoop, where the, erm, ice cream guy (what are their designation?), spend some time perfecting his skills to make a super round scoop (not the semi-spherical one). So, really, I don't really fancy the idea that each time I go to an ice cream parlour, the size of my ice cream scoop depends on who scoops my ice cream!

Already, I see some nods over there.

Anyways, my experience in Baskin Robbins was good. Service was excellent. Well, mostly you pick your flavour and you ask for a pinch to taste, you decide and you pay. Sort of self-service. But again, it depends on who you approach to get your scoop.

This dude I got was super friendly and smiley. It seems like he is really enjoying his work, serving his valued customers with their favourite flavours and seeing their smiles makes him feel satisfied and keeps him going. Or maybe, he was just born smiley.

Anyways, when I asked for tasting, he happily obliged. You know it is very difficult for me, these past few weeks, to decide on a flavour because I'm fasting from chocolates. And those waiters at NZ Natural and Haagen Dazs doesn't seem to fancy the thought of me being undecided. Hello.

And he really fill up the tiny spoon so I get a thorough taste before I make my decision. And finally, Very Very Strawberry it is! Man, was the scoop so perfectly round.. and big. I suddenly remembered the i-scream parlour in HongKong! Nostalgic! Bravo! We have here, ladies and gentlemen, an Ice Cream Guy!

Good, eh. Good ice cream after good sashimi and followed by a long gossip session with my friends. Oh, satisfying.

Now, let's see. Based on my recent visits to these places, I shall now suggest to you how to get a good ice cream experience.

1) If you see a crowd of undecided people, stand back and wait till they have chosen and bought their scoops. Patience, people. When the Ice Cream Guy/Girl is busy/kan cheong, he or she will be less attentive to your Big Decision Making on the flavours.

2) Look out for the Ice Cream Guy/Girl who looks like they take pride in their jobs. If they all look crappy, then have to depend on number 3).

3) If possible, approach the Ice Cream Guy if you are a girl and approach the Ice Cream Girl if you are a guy. Oh yes, there IS a difference.

4) Give them your 'Ooh! Ice Cream!" look to show how much this scoop of ice cream mean to you. Don't know the look? Erm, just bring a 5 year old to the shop and copy that look.

5) Ask politely, almost like you are troubling them, to taste the various crazy flavours. This is free after all.

6) When you have decided, give them your "Yes, I have decided" look and ask them for "one big round scoop of ________" and smile. I didn't actually say this but I think I will start to the next time I go. Hehe. Just to be sure.

7) If you really do get a big round scoop, give them the happiest look you have and pay. If you don't, then give them the "disappointed but it is OK because obviously you like to cheat your customers" look. I guess it doesn't really matter since you already have the ice cream in your hand but at least he/she will feel guilty and will think carefully when he/she decides to stinge on the scoop again! :D

No comments: