seriously, I have much to tell... :)

18 May 2008

safety first

One ordinary afternoon at work, one colleague, let's call him Bob, decided to take the lift to the 33rd floor. While waiting for the lift, he decided to hold the fire retardent door ajar because the lift landing area has just been repainted and he didn't like the smell. So he hoped that by leaving the door open, there will be some ventilation.


Then I walked in.


"Why are you holding the door?" I asked.
"The smell. It is smelly here," was Bob's reply.

"As an appointed member of the Safety Committee, I demand that you close that door now!" I squeaked.

"Erm, OK. I could do that," Bob replied trying not to laugh.



Sometimes I think I take my job too seriously.


But most of the time, I think I don't take my job seriously enough.


"teeheehee! Fierce not? But seriously, we should always keep the doors closed. Otherwise, we will defeat the purpose of its existence," I explained further.



REWIND to a few months back.

One ordinary afternoon at work (can't remember what I was doing), my boss walked into the office hurriedly and while doing many other things, he called me into his office.

"Yvonne ah!" he called as usual.
"Yah!" I replied as usual. "What's up?" I asked as I would sometimes.
"You are now appointed as a representative of our department in the Safety Committee!" he said while replying to numerous e-mails (I suppose).
"Erm... cool! What do I do??"
"Well, you will be involved in the Committee on our behalf and attend meetings and assist in ensuring the safety of everyone," he replied.
"Cool. I'll do just that."


Later in that ordinary afternoon, I decided to add some excitement into my life by being excited about this ordinary post...

"Presee, I'm a member of the Safety Committee! I represent HR."
"Good. Our safety shall be in your hands now. Now, where is that document..."



The excitement died after a few weeks but I still try my best to ensure the safety of my colleagues...


"Who left that trolley in the corridor?! It's a safety hazard OK!"


FAST FORWARD to a few months later

One ordinary afternoon, I was printing the organization chart of the Safety Committee and Ms. Ruth, the English Language trainer, happened to be around.

"Ms. Ruth, did you know I am a member of the Safety Committee?" I asked just trying to add spice to my otherwise ordinary day.
"Oh, really? That's great! I'm sure you are doing a good job," she replied encouragingly as she normally would.
"Really? You think so?" I asked, fishing for reassurance.
"Yes. I think you pay enough attention to details and I think you are right to be part of the committee," she replied.
"Hehe! Cool!"


She made my day, just like that. What an ordinary post. I was going to blog about the many ways to cut up a mango, complete with pictures and step-by-step explanations BUT I finished the mangoes before I could think of how many ways I actually know.


Btw, I know about 5 methods. Will get to it soon. :D

1 comment:

Philip said...

cool!!! safety committee!
I wonder theres any salary increment for that particular position? hehe